Friday, February 26, 2016

Cereal, More Cereal, and Faith









Hi everyone!

Another week down in the MTC, and were down to only 18 more days until Canada! Not like I'm counting or anything... But, lets be real, I cannot wait to be in Quebec! Even if the weather report in Montreal says there's a high of 15 degrees today. NOT EVEN THE ICY COLD OF CANADA CAN FREEZE MY WARM HEART! 
 
 
My missionary tag in front of the temple, just to prove I actually am a missionary,
 not some random person who's been loitering around Provo the past few weeks.
 (Oh that's also the Chruch's name in French, so that's cool)


Okay, here's what happened this week:

* Elder Hansen's birthday was last Saturday and we, as district of 12 missionaries, banded together and embarked on one of the most difficult journey's we've had thus far at the MTC. It was called the Tower Challenge, and it revolved completely around Life cereal. Now, for all of you who are unfamiliar with the Provo MTC, they have quite the set up of cereal options in the cafeteria, and all of those cereals are stored in these things we affectionately call Towers. They're probably 2-3 feet tall and pretty wide and each one is filled with an individual type of cereal. And for Elder Hansen's birthday we decided that we would take on the Tower Challenge and try to consume the whole tower of Life cereal in about a 20 minute period. It was a valiant effort. I myself ate 4, rather large, bowls of cereal. The other sister's pulled their weight, each getting at least 3-4 bowls, but alas our expedition was unsuccessful. We decided to call it quits at about 7/8 in. There was one Elder who had eaten 7 bowls of cereal and he was starting to turn as white as the milk. That was when we threw in the towel. BUT, I am still so proud of my district and all that we were able to accomplish. We may have lost the challenge, but we were all winners in my heart. Also, I will never eat Life cereal again. 

* We got a new teacher this week! His name is Frere Taua and he is from Tahiti! He's been a member of the church for about 6 years now and he served his mission in Paris. His Tahitian accent is pretty funky, he rolls his R's like a Spaniard but somehow he is still speaking French. As of right now, we have two native French speakers teaching us the language, and to me that's pretty sick. Frere Taua also offered the prayer in Tahitian once and it was one of the coolest/weirdest things ever. All I gathered was that Tahitians use A LOT of vowels and it sounded like he was trying to play the bongo's on his vocal cords. I understood none of it, but I sure did feel the spirit and so was cool. 

 * This week as a district we got to Host new missionaries! Which means we got to help the new missionaries who arrived at the MTC this past Wednesday. It was super fun to show the new missionaries around, and try to help ease them into the transition of missionary life. It was also kinda sad because all the parents and the families that were crying as they had to say goodbye to their missionary, but I was able to comfort them a little and tell them just how much their missionary will LOVE the MTC and their missions! Such a cool experience, I hope I get to do it every week!

All the cutie sisters in my district with our Hosting tags! 
(expect Sis. Zobrist who was MIA, sorry S. Zeeee)


* This week, in personal study, I studied the topic of Faith and what a wonderful week it has been. Faith is the first principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it is the foundation that allows for all the other principles of the gospel to flourish and grow. When a person develops faith in Jesus Christ, a natural love for Him and his teachings will start to grow. In the Book of Mormon we learn that faith is "not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." (Alma 32: 21) And I know that in this life we are to walk by faith, believing in Christ and His glory (things which cannot be seen by our mortal eyes, but can be felt powerfully in our hearts) to best know how we can return to live with our Father in Heaven again one day. I have faith in Christ, and because of that faith I repent of my sins, I remember the covenants I made at baptism, and I listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Because I have learned that it is by faith that all things are possible, even eternal life, the greatest of all the gifts of God. And after a week of studying faith and seeing the joy it brought into my life, I challenge everyone to read or reread Alma chapter 32 and to ponder about what aspects of life where your faith might be lacking, and then commit to strengthen it. I know it is faith that sustains us, so lets sustain our faith. 

That's all I got for this week. I'm so grateful for all the things I've been able to learn at the MTC, I only hope that as I wear the name of the Savior on my chest, that I can do it justice and try to be the means for Him to do His work upon the earth. 

A travers Jesus-Christ nous pouvons retourner avec notre Pere Celeste apres cette vie. Je l'aime l'Evangile retabli et je sais que le Livre de Mormon est vrai, et ma temoigne au Jesus-Christ est ecrire dans ma coeur. 

With all the love in the world,
Soeur Thomas
 
  I was walking to the temple with my district this past Sunday and LOOK WHO I RAN INTO! 
None other than Cassidy Field, my roommate from BYUI! 
She transferred to Provo this past semester and she is just the cutest thing in the world! 
I never thought I'd run into her in Provo, but heck I'm sure happy I did! LOVE YOU CASS!


 Our cute door to our room!
 Sister Zobrist has a Polaroid camera so we took pictures of all the sisters 
and then taped them on the door next to our names. 
I.E. we won the cutest door in the MTC basically. LONG LIVE ROOM 435!

No comments:

Post a Comment