Friday, February 5, 2016

Our first email from Soeur Thomas!

Bonjour from the Provo MTC!





I can't believe it's only been two days since I arrived at the MTC. That doesn't just seem logical! So much has happened in such a little time and I couldn't be happier. To start off, yes my P-day is Friday, so don't forget to check your emails before you party all weekend!

There's been so much going on and I guess to explain it I'll just start off with what happened on Wednesday. As soon as I got here I was given a haul of books to help me learn the language, my French scriptures and got to stow away my luggage in my room so I could then be swept off to do something else important. Which then happened to be running to my first class. And as you were probably guessing, the whole class was in French. Our district (the group of missionaries I'll be leaving with) is HUGE. We have 12 missionaries, 6 sisters and 6 elders,  and we are ALL going to Montreal! Which I guess is something pretty rare to have so many people going to one place all at the same time, so that's cool. We have two awesome teachers, Brother Davis and Brother Nollet. I don't know too much about Brother Davis but Brother Nollet actually grew up in Belgium and French is his first language, he is also a convert so learning from him is amazing. 

I forgot to mention that when I first got to the MTC they told me my companion was sick and that she wouldn't be arriving till hopefully the next day (Thursday) or this weekend. I was so bummed that she was sick but I was just praying that she would get here soon. So I, admittedly begrudgingly, joined another companionship and after a few awkward hiccups, we made a happy-pappy trio. The other two cute missionaries were Sister Garcia and Sister Zobrist, I had actually met Sister Garcia on Instagram a few weeks before getting to the MTC so it was fun to meet with her in person. Sister Zobrist is from California and she's freaking funny. 

What else... Okay, so the first day was packed full of stuff for us to do, people for us to meet, and devotionals to be listened to. After French class we then went to this workshop called Purpose & People that taught us a lot about our objectives as missionaries and how we need to cater that to the people we are teaching. It was pretty intense but extremely uplifting. After that we met our Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders and had some introductions with them. They're wonderful. And finally after a full day, we didn't get back to the "Residency" (i.e the place we live, which is basically just like a college dorm room) until about 9 o'clock and we still had to unpack our stuff. 

6 AM came way too quickly the next morning, that's for freaking sure. This whole 6:30 wake up time thing is going to need some getting used to, but hey, WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!  We had class again at 7, and may I mention that the Sisters were the only ones on time (go us!), where we got a little crash course about what our personal, companionship and language study would be like usually. And then I was told my companion had arrived and I was SO excited to meet her. 

Her name is Sister Barnes and she is absolutely wonderful. Apparently, she got the stomach flu on Tuesday and was throwing up all day and she didn't know if she was going to be alright on Wednesday, but after a successful day of not throwing up, she arrived on Thursday! She's from Oregon, loves to run, and has one of the strongest testimonies I've seen. She fun and I know that we will be great together. I already love her to pieces and feel like I've known her for WAY longer than 24 hours. 

Innnnn closing, the MTC is such a spiritual place. I've never been so bombarded with the spirit before and I'm looking forward to the next 6 weeks here. OH, also, the language is going SWIMMINGLY. The first day was stinking overwhelming, but just yesterday I already felt like I was understanding things and felt more confident. We already learned to pray in French and memorized our missionary objective statement. Man, I can't wait to see where I'll be in 6 weeks.

Heavenly Father is real. He loves us SO much. And I know that no matter how hard things may seem, that He will never give us more than we can handle. He has also given us His son, even Jesus Christ, our Savior, who can help us through anything. I have felt the love of the Savior SO much these past two days, and I can't wait to share that love with the people of Montreal!

Dieu est notre Pere celeste (sorry I don't know how to put these accents in there, but just pretend they're there). Nous sommes ses enfants. Dieu nous a envoyes sur terre pour apprendre et progesser! Dieu est amour!

See ya next Friday,
Soeur Thomas
P.S. I ran into Sister Reed, i.e. my college homie at the airport.
I about DIED! She is so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment