Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Ramblings of A Missionary

Hi!
POUTINE from La Banquise

Honestly I have no idea what I want to write in this email. There is so much that happens in a week and trying to record it in an email sometimes works, and other weeks it doesn't. This is one of those weeks. But here are some bullet points. 

* Satan controls the gas prices here in Montreal. Literally every time we decide to wait a day to fill up the price jumps like 15 cents! And they do gas weird in Canada (because metric system). They sell it by the Liter and it's pretty pricey. One liter is like 115 cents and when there's almost 4 liters to a gallon, it adds up fast.

* I've decided that Canadian French sounds like a mixture of Russian and German. I'm lucky that Sister Hoffmann is here for when we talk to Quebecois people because I seriously have no idea what they're saying. Wish me luck for when I get transferred out of this area. 

* A home is not a happy home unless love is there. As a missionary I've been in so many homes where there is no love circulating between the family members. And it's sad! Especially when there are children involved. There's a reason why there are so many hymns and primary songs about speaking kindly, forgiving, and always remembering to love one another. President Monson even gave a talk in 2014 about love being the essence of the gospel. And it truly is. Every piece of doctrine we have in the church is taken back to the love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us. Without love, we wouldn't have the Plan of Salvation, the Atonement of Jesus Christ would have never been possible, and we would never be able to make it successfully through mortality. Love is the motivation factor for every good thing we have in this world. As a missionary, I've been praying for the gift of charity as I try to teach these people the happiest message they could ever hear. And it's with love and a heavy heart that I have to be okay when they decide to reject the things we teach them. Again, being a missionary is hard. We face rejection, and physical, mental, and spiritual exhaustion a lot, but as I've prayed for the gift of love, I've been able to continue getting up everyday, because I know how much it is worth it. 

Sorry that was so scattered. Welcome to the brain of a missionary. Hopefully next weeks email will be better. But I hope everyone has a great week!

Love,
Sister Thomas

 Me snuggling one of our investigators Nadeja. Love these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment