Monday, March 21, 2016

Canada is real...real cold!

Bonjour-Hi!

My Mission President,, President Patrick, his wife, Sister Patrick, 
me, and my new trainer Sister Hoffman!


Guess what everyone, Canada is really a place. AND I'M HERE. Yes, it's still a little chilly, people do say words weird (like how the bathroom is called a wash-room, like what the heck, and also about is aboot, I giggled so hard the first time I heard it), and everyone really is obsessed with the maple leaf. BUT I LOVE IT! 

I met my trainer on Thursday and her name is Sister Hoffmann and she's from Arizona but she was born in Venezuela, so she speaks fluent Spanish, English and French. So yes she's amazing, and I'm making her teach me some Spanish. We have a ton in common. We tell each other we are basically the same person, but she's just a little more brown. She's the oldest of 5 too, her parents are divorced, she went to BYU-I (the semester before me) and she wants to do something in the health-care field as well! I really do love her a lot and I look forward to the next few months with her. We will be together for a total of 12 weeks so that I can finish my In-Field Missionary training, so at least I'll be suck with someone I like! 

I'm in a city called Kirkland on the east of Montreal, it's an English speaking area, with one heck of an amazing ward. Our first night here, we were contacted by some members and they invited us over for dinner. Then the same thing happened the second night, and since then we've had other opportunities to visit with these wonderful members and all I can say is I don't know how I got so lucky to be sent here as my first area. I was pretty worried about my French when I was told by my Mission President that I would be serving in an English area, but thankfully, since it is still Quebec, there are tons of people who speak French. We've had quite a few lessons in French with mostly Haitian people. Haitian people are the BEST, let me tell you. They're so humble and ready to hear about the gospel. The other night me and my companion had the opportunity to visit two Haitian's, a recent convert, Glaurie, and her cousin Elsie who is looking into the church, and they made us some rice with soup that was blended up black beans, and this pork that was seriously the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. And then we got to share with them the new Easter video the Church has made about Christ's Resurrection (if you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend you do, it's a beautiful video, here's the link: https://www.mormon.org/easter) and the spirit was there so strong as we testified of the reality of Christ's Atonement, and how because of it we can change, and be made better through Christ. What a beautiful time of year this is, where we can celebrate the Resurrection of Christ and appreciate what that means for us. 

 
In my area we have a car, because we cover Kirkland but also like 4 other towns and another island that's right next to Montreal, it's called Parrot Island, and I haven't been there yet but updates will follow on how many parrots I spot. But because we have a car, and we aren't walking around, it makes it harder to meet people and talk to them about the gospel, so are plan is to park in a general area and then just walk around and hopefully meet some people who would want to hear our message. 

Anyways, I have to go, but I hope everyone has a great week and remembers how much Christ and Heavenly Father loves us! That simple truth is really the most beautiful thing. Oh also, Quebec smells like a really heavy mix of cigarettes and maple syrup. It's splendid. 

With all the love in the world,
Soeur/Sister Thomas

 
Saying goodbye to my MTC Compainion!

No comments:

Post a Comment