Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I'll [stay] where you want me to [stay]

August 29th

HI WORLD

This week Sister Morgan and I finished our first six weeks together and her first six weeks as a missionary. And man it was a busy week. We taught more lessons than we have in a while and found a handful of new investigators that we are super excited about!

And all of our new investigators were found by miracles. One, named Serif, was a surprise as we went over to teach a lesson to his mom, who had been taught a little bit before by other missionaries, but now wanted us to teach her son. He opened the conversation by asking us why we are here. HA. Easiest/best/my favorite question ever. I immediately flipped open the Book of Mormon to Alma 34 verse 32 that reads, "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." After asking him what he thought the verse meant, he pondered his question again and said that the scripture made a lot of sense. And then we started talking more about our Heavenly Father's plan for us, about how we were with Him before and are working in this life to get back to Him. He then asked why we had to leave God's presence in the first place, and Sister Morgan and I got to explain to him that it was because we had to come to earth and receive a body and have experience. It was so cool to explain that when we were with God as spirits before this life, we couldn't have progressed anymore without receiving a body. And when we finished talking, he left the lesson very satisfied, with a Book of Mormon in his hands, and with a commitment to read it and ponder it's message. 

 We also found another investigator named Jean Claude, he's an older Haitian man who had a stroke 7 years ago. He only speaks French and his stroke has left him with physical challenges and it's really difficult to understand him, so we just read pamphlets to him in French and talk to him about what they mean. We know we can keep going when he says "Oui, je crois ça" which translates to "yes, I believe/think that." We have a lesson with him and his family (a wife and three daughters) tomorrow and the other Sister Missionaries for the French area are going to take over. We are super excited.

And finally, I titled my email "I'll [stay] where you want me to [stay]" because I've been thinking a lot about the Hymn "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go" (https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/ill-go-where-you-want-me-to-go?lang=eng). Heavenly Father has asked me stay in this area for awhile. I've been in Kirkland since I got to Canada in March, and the next transfer ends in October. That's a good chunk of time but I know I'm supposed to be here, in this area, for a reason. I've learned a lot and it's obviously that Heavenly Father wants me to learn more. So sometimes in life it's not all about the going going going, but instead Heavenly Father wants us to stay, and to continue, to grow for where He has already placed us. And we shall see what this next six weeks brings to The Kirkland Adventures of Sister Morgan and Sister Thomas (copyright pending). 

Have a great week everyone! Remember that someone in Canada loves you!

Sister Thomas
 
 Our dear friend Katie got baptized on Saturday!
 Her mom, Helen (I wrote about her in May) was baptized a few months ago
 and since then Katie has been receiving the discussions and 
she decided she wanted to be baptized before she went back to college for the fall. 
She is so stellar and we love her so much. So excited to see what life has in store for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment