Monday, August 8, 2016

Week 24

July 18th

Hello Friends and Family!

Another beautiful, hot, week in Canada. 

SOOOO PRETTY CANADA AHHHHH

This week we contacted, met with members and less actives, and taught lessons to investigators, therefore, making it another successful week. 

We had a really cool experience teaching from The Book of Mormon to a part-member family. We had the objective of teaching them the Gospel of Jesus Christ that being, faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Concepts that we'd talked about before, but this time we wanted to have a formal lesson on. And what better way to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ than by using the scriptures, which we believe to be the words of God. So we read 2 Nephi Chapter 31 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/31?lang=eng)  together. It was powerful. And then their 10 year old daughter had a question about faith, so we answered it by having her read Alma 32: 21-28 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/32?lang=eng). And it had answered her question perfectly. It was a beautiful experience teaching and reading out of The Book of Mormon with a family. Because our goal as missionaries is to help bring families together, and there is no better way to do that than by reading The Book of Mormon. Prophets for decades have promised that by reading of it's pages we will be strengthened and sustained in every sphere of our lives. I know that to be true. I know that The Book of Mormon is true. I have been blessed by reading and abiding by its precepts. It's such a special book. Please read it. Everyday. "Et puis" (And then in French) watch the blessings flow. 

 Just trying to gather the wheat from amidst the tares (hehe scripture reference)
Update on our investigators:
James: Is doing great! Still reading The Book of Mormon and praying. We are seeing him again tonight, so pray for him!
Denise: She's doing great. We are going to start teaching her family and we are so excited. 

We also go our transfer calls this week. I will be staying here in Kirkland, my first and only area so far, and Sister Zobrist will be leaving to Ottawa this Wednesday. We will be super sad to be separated after only 6 weeks together, but these past weeks have been a huge blessing to us and I'm forever grateful that the Lord allowed us to be companions. She's so wonderful. But I will be receiving a new missionary, and I don't know her name yet, but I will tell you all next week! I'm super excited to show her around Kirkland and just help to love the heck of these people. 

And because Sister Zobrist is leaving, we went and stopped by some of our members houses yesterday, so she could say goodbye. She said goodbye to Bridget, a member who we love so dearly, and we both bore testimony of the Church and its truthfulness, and then Bridget opened up to us about how much we'd helped her in just the past 6 weeks. She told us all of the ripple effects of all the things we'd done with her. We laughed together, and cried together as she told us how grateful she was for us. Never before had I been so humbled and full of love as I had been at that moment. We had no idea the magnitude we'd had on her life in just that short time. And just seeing at least a little bit of the fruits of our labors was so inspiring to Sister Zobrist and I. We were so grateful that we had gotten to serve this women, and obviously I will continue to serve her as long as I'm here in Kirkland, but long story short, you NEVER know how much good you do. You never know the ripple effects you have on people's lives. WE are one of the ways Heavenly Father administers His blessings to His children. WE are HIS hands. So please, don't ever be discouraged when you don't think you've done enough to help, because you've probably done more than you'll ever know. But also, never be afraid to give more. To help more. To comfort more. To love more. Because people definitely need it. And God needs you to do it. So give freely, and love will freely come to you. 
 Bridget and Jesse, loves of my life

AH okay, I'll get off my soapbox, but really I'm so happy doing the Lord's work here. Nothing has been a greater blessing to me. 

I love and pray for you all,

Sister Thomas

Scripture of the week:
1 Nephi 4:6-7
"And I was led by the spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless, I went forth..."

 An Elder finished his mission in Kirkland, so we made him a strawberry-rhubarb pie. 
Oh my gosh, pretty sure I should be a baker now because it was
  SO GOOOOOOOOD. and it's beautiful and artsy,
 so here's a picture

No comments:

Post a Comment